Saturday, December 15, 2018

Three men stood with their hands up staring stupidly back at us

HES HERE SOMEWHERE

I ran to Chuck’s door, pulling off the AR glasses and holding my gun straight in front of me. Three men stood with their hands up, staring stupidly back at us. and I recognized one of them as Chuck’s attacker, the one who had been caught on video. He knew we recognized him. One by one they dropped their weapons.

Tony rushed past me, going back to check on Damon. “All clear!” he yelled moments later.

“Do you have Paul?” yelled Chuck.

“No!”

None of the men in front of us was Paul either. Did he slip past us down the stairs somehow?

“Where’s the sixth guy?” asked Damon, running up behind me. He gestured to the AR glasses in my hand.

I put them back on. Three red dots hovered in front of me as I looked at the three guys in our room, and swiveling around I could see the dot of the guy they’d captured at the other end of the hallway. Looking down to my left, I could see another dot coming up toward us, which must have been Irena and Aleksandr bringing up the one they’d captured downstairs. That’s five. Where’s the sixth?

“I only count five,” I said after double-checking.

“Goddamn it!” yelled Chuck. “Tie them up. He’s here somewhere.”